Egg Butifarra Omelette

Is that egg butifarra? I can’t stand egg butifarra! I crinkled my nose in disgust at my local butcher. It may seem rude of me, but it’s perfectly acceptable because he always crinkles his nose in disgust every time I tell him about the tofu dishes I’ve been cooking.

Yes it is, he declared. But you’ll like this one. Really.

I looked at him sceptically. I tried to raise an eyebrow in a dramatic manner. He rolled his eyes and went about to sell me the new egg butifarra.

What are Butifarras?

EGG-BUTIFARRA

Before continuing on with the story, lets talk about butifarra. Butifarras are sausages from the Catalonian region of Spain. Some are just like normal pork sausages, the type that you cook. They can come in a plain version, or with different seasonings, such as garlic, pepper or wild mushrooms. Others, like this egg one featured here today, are already cooked and you can either just slice and eat them, or cook them by popping them into certain dishes to bring out a better flavour. They come in 3 main versions: butifarra blanca, butifarra negre and butifarra d’ou.

Butifarra blanca (white butifarra)

These are whitish in color and can also come with different seasoning, such as garlic or pepper, etc. White butifarras are my favourite.

Butifarra negre (black butifarra)

These are similar to black pudding, made with boiled pork blood and different spices.

Butifarra d’ou (egg butifarra)

These are usually more yellow in colour than the one I have here, and as the name suggests they are made with pork and egg. They often have a very intense flavour that I guess try to simulate the flavour of egg yolk, multiplied by a thousand, which is too strong for me and that’s why I usually can’t stand egg butifarras. Also I had always heard that the best way to eat them was in an omellete. Egg butifarra in egg omelette. Just how bizarre is that?

CATALAN-EGG-SAUSAGE

Anyway, my butcher explained that these are not your typical egg butifarra. Oh no. These are made by the best butifarra maker in Catalonia, plus this specific egg butifarra always wins the prize of the best egg butifarra. The reason why this egg butifarra looks paler than the rest is that the others often have artificial yellow colours added to make them seem even more eggy. These special pale egg butifarras are only made around the period of Lent. The tradition is to cook them as an egg butifarra omelette version for Fat Thursday just before Lent.

Best-egg-butifarra

You guessed it. I succumbed and bought the award winning pale egg butifarra. Thus, yes, I’ve written this post late because this happened last week. Indeed I made this omelette for Fat Thursday last week. My opinion: absolutely divine.

Lesson learnt

Don’t automatically turn your nose up at something you probably think you don’t like. You might be in for a surprise and really enjoy it. Never say never.

When was the last time you were pleasantly surprised at enjoying something you thought you hated?

Egg-butifarra-omelette-recipe.

EGG-BUTIFARRA-OMELETTE

Tortilla-de-butifarra-de-huevo-receta

Egg Butifarra Omelette Recipe

This recipe can also be made with white beans. I’ll try it with the white beans in some future moment.

1 egg butifarra
1 onion
5 eggs
salt
black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil

Peel and cut the onion into smallish pieces. Heat the olive oil in a pan. Add the onion and cook on medium heat until soft.

Meanwhile cut the butifarra into slices. Beat the eggs. Add the butifarra slices into the eggs, along with a dash of salt and black pepper. Once the onion is soft, add the onion into the egg mixture. Mix.

Pour the mixture into the same pan where the onion was being cooked. Let the omelette cook on one side. Flip it over and cook on the other side.

(Visited 57 times, 1 visits today)

1. Saskia (1=2) 2016-02-12 at 00:47

Yet another unusual food item I’ve learned about from your blog Sofia. Have never heard of egg butifarra! I’m thinking they must be very rich! Yum. We live in a ‘hood with a large Eastern Euro population so there are all manner of sausages to be found. The closest comparison I can think of would be Polish cheese kransky! Your omelette looks so good.

1. Sofia 2016-02-18 at 18:06

A cheese sausage sounds great, see I have no idea where I could find one of those here! I hope you’re well Saskia xx

1. Saskia (1=2) 2016-02-19 at 00:13

Cheese kranskies are pure evil, in a good way! I’m very well, thanks Sofia. Just can’t seem to find blogging time any more! I’ve had a post in the pipeline for 3 months. I really should just hit ‘publish’ 🙂

1. Sofia 2016-02-20 at 13:40

Gosh I can relate, not just of having a post in the pipeline for months, but for just having an idea of a post for months! I take it you haven’t created your blog II then? I’m taking my blog II down because it was too much, I work in the sector so making a blog about it in my free time was just too much. I realised I enjoy Papaya Pieces 1000 times more. So Papaya Pieces wins! 🙂

1. Saskia (1=2) 2016-02-20 at 22:25

Yay, I’m glad PP won! I really liked your new blog, but PP is the one I feel fondest for. Gah, it’s tricky navigating all this bloggy stuff. My Blog II is still in the pipeline, although I’ve changed the concept of it 🙂 I’m actually sitting here on a Sunday morning with the plan of uploading a post on 1=2. Onto my second coffee, procrastinating. Wish me luck 🙂

1. Sofia 2016-02-20 at 22:26

If you do launch the blog II, do let me know! Good luck on the post for this morning! xx

2. apuginthekitchen 2016-02-12 at 03:40

I have never heard of this type of sausage before and am intrigued. It sounds like it would be delicious and I love your omelette. It really looks and sounds amazing and like a great meal. I wonder if they are available in the US. I have to check this out. Beautiful photographs.

1. Sofia 2016-02-18 at 18:09

Hmmm actually these can sausages aren’t found too abundantly in other parts of Spain so I would imagine it’s not something hugely exported… But if you ever did find some, remember you can eat them uncooked too (as you would ham and cheese). xx

3. lazymomcooking 2016-02-12 at 05:22

I love omelet but have never heard about this…

Please visit or follow my blog (www.lazymomcooking.wordpress.com) or my Instagram (lazymom_cooking) for some recipe ideaa 🙂

4. Tracy@Beauty Reflections 2016-02-12 at 05:38

I’ve never heard of this sausage but it sounds intriguing! It sounds like it’d be delicious in an omelette too. I love egg anything.
    I’m really not that adventurous with food to tell you the truth. I should start to try new things!

1. Sofia 2016-02-18 at 18:09

Oh yes do start trying new things, you might find you like them! 🙂

5. Darya 2016-02-12 at 07:30

Ok so this sounds a bit like boudin blanc, which I thought I hated until I discovered my butcher’s version and fell in love! I really enjoyed reading your post and you are right to be open to new experiences, I truly believe that when something is well-prepared it can make you change your mind about almost any food!

1. Sofia 2016-02-18 at 18:12

OK these are sort of similar to boudin blanc, but boudin blanc is finer in texture and taste, and… (ahem) I like boudin blanc more! Actually out of all the “white coloured sausages” I’ve ever tried, my utmost favourite is boudin blanc! 😀
      I agree with you, any food that is well made can make you enjoy it if you didn’t think you ever would! xx

6. Mabel Kwong 2016-02-12 at 09:56

Your food photos are once again amazing! I’ve always like sausages but like you, don’t like the ones that smell and taste very strong. Your omelette looked like it turned out into an even colour – well beaten like how my mum makes it. Usually my skinny arms don’t have enough energy to beat an omelette well… 😀

1. Sofia 2016-02-18 at 18:13

A little secret: in real life the omelette was slightly even more even in colour because I photoshopped the images to make the yellow tones slightly more vivid 😉

7. Mitzie Mee 2016-02-12 at 17:32

I had no idea such a thing even existed. I’m usually an adventurous eater, so I’ll look out for the butifarra if I ever come to Catalonia. I don’t think I would have any luck finding butifarra outside Spain? The omelette looks really tasty:)

1. Sofia 2016-02-18 at 18:16

That’s true, you ARE an adventurous eater, as we can see through your blog. I think we would get along well as eating buddies 😉 I think in other parts of Spain you do get some butifarra, but I only remember seeing the most “commercial” supermarket types whereas here we get better quality ones in the good butchers and charcuteries 🙂 But when you are in Spain you should give me a shout in case I’m around the same area and we could go out to EAT! lol

8. chef mimi 2016-02-12 at 21:57

And this is why I read blogs – I’ve never heard of this type of sausage before. It looks fabulous! Although I’ve never met a sausage I didn’t like. Love your salad, too!

1. Sofia 2016-02-18 at 18:17

Oh yes I’ve discovered so many new things and become a lot more adventurous in cooking since I read blogs 🙂 I hope you get to try one of these one day!

9. Dorcas 2016-02-13 at 07:37

The question is, where can I get one of these sausages around here?? I hadn’t heard of this either until I read your post! Thank you for enlightening me. It’s fun to learn about new (to me) foods like this one. I am always willing to try any food at least once. It usually works out! No major fiascos yet. 😀

1. Sofia 2016-02-18 at 18:22

Hmmm I wonder if you can find them there! I also very adventurous in trying out foods 🙂

1. Sofia 2016-02-18 at 18:22

Yes, an egg sausage in an (egg) omelette 😀

10. Dalo 2013 2016-02-13 at 22:46

This is a great read ~ you wrote it so well (and humorous). I have never heard of BUTIFARRA before…and then to find out it is a type of egg sausage, I too thought it to be a little strange. But your photos (and writing) has made me change my mind as it looks delicious in an omelette ~ now the question if I could find such a thing in the USA (or HK, which I think I could as HK seems to have everything). Cheers to a great weekend ahead.

1. Sofia 2016-02-18 at 18:23

Do you think they could be easier to find in Hong Kong than in the US? Interesting… I’m replying a week late, so cheers to a great weekend ahead 🙂

1. Dalo 2013 2016-02-18 at 19:42

Yes, it is amazing all the different cultures in HK ~ and you can find anything here. With restrictions of the FDA (US governing food imports, etc…), HK is much freer and more open to bringing in goods. Looking forward to a nice weekend 🙂

11. Guillermina Bósquez Stover 2016-02-14 at 16:26

Yes, butifarra is similar to Boudin Blanc, as someone mentioned. Meh, that’s okay. The omelette you made, however, looks appetizing!

I remember when we lived in Spain, I initially turned my nose up at “puntillitas.” My husband gently insisted that I try them…and I finally did. Wow. Just wow. I am so glad he insisted!

1. Sofia 2016-02-18 at 18:24

Actually my utmost favourite white sausage are the boudin blanc, lol.
      Puntillitas are great!!! I’m glad he insisted too!

12. Patty Nguyen 2016-02-15 at 05:14

So very interesting! I have never heard of butifarra before. I would love to try some!

1. Sofia 2016-02-18 at 18:25

Hmmm do you think sending you one would be possible (referring to: customs)?

13. Karen 2016-02-15 at 20:22

I just loved this post and your description “I tried to raise an eyebrow in a dramatic manner. He rolled his eyes and went about to sell me the new egg butifarra.” I think your butcher is very clever in that he got you to try and like the egg butifarra. Now you will have to get him to try tofu dishes. 🙂

1. Sofia 2016-02-18 at 18:27

Haha yes he is clever. OH gosh, I think getting him to try a tofu dish would be too hard a mission!

14. Lily @ChloeAsh 2016-02-17 at 13:23

I love omelettes! I’m gonna try this. We don’t get fancy sausages here, but heck, all the ingredients in the omelette sure make an epic one!

1. Sofia 2016-02-18 at 18:26

Hmm maybe just try making an omelette like this with any mild tasting sausage and I’m sure it will be delicious!

15. gotasté 2016-02-26 at 10:53

Hey Sofia. Thanks for the lovely post. This can be my breakfast, lunch or dinner! And that gorgeous bread beside it. Did you bake that? Warmly, Danny

1. Sofia 2016-02-26 at 12:30

You’re right Danny, this would make a good breakfast, lunch or dinner! The gorgeous bread isn’t baked by me, its from the artisanal bakery behind my place (i don’t need to bake bread with so much incredible breads there). I hope you’re well!